Fort William First Nation (FWFN) is located on the western end of Lake Superior adjacent to the city of Thunder Bay. The reserve land was set aside under the provisions of the Robinson-Superior Treaty in 1850 and the reserve was officially formed in 1853. The traditional territories occupied and used by the FWFN people stretch from Pigeon River to the south, north to Treaty 9 boundary and east to Nipigon. In the negotiations of the Robinson Superior Treaty, FWFN agreed not to interfere with colonial settlers. In return, the Crown promised cash payments and trade goods, annuities beginning in 1851, and complete freedom to continue to hunt and fish as before (except on private land). Most people made their living in traditional ways, utilizing an aquatic territory on Lake Superior that encompassed Pie Island, Flatland Island and south to Sturgeon Bay as “the Grand Fishery”. The people of FWFN would spend their winters in the interior on their hunting grounds. The community has a registered membership of 1,798 people, with 832 members living in the community.